Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Saddest thing about leaving... Furry Friends








Ever since we arrived and saw all the feral cats, I made it my business to adopt or try to care for a dozen or so in my own neighborhood (I still carry kibble for those I bump into on my walks). The cats in Jerusalem are everywhere. My first walk fully armed with food in plastic baggies was a disaster, I couldn't find a cat to feed... disheartened, I tried again in the early evening and there they were, all rising from the afternoon slumber.

An apartment a block away from where we live, with a grassy courtyard provided me a group of cats I could visit regularly. At first they were shy and would run or hide when I meowed or made the clicking sounds that Mr Gryff (our cat in Portland) come running. Slowly one cat fell for me! And wouldn't you know if... it was the cat who looked most like Mr Gryff, except for the funky bent ear. He could hear me calling him from 100 yards away and come to see me. I left food on the top of a low rock wall, and soon he was eating from my hand, purring and talking to me. A dozen other cats in the yard would come a watch their friend purr and get treats, soon they realized they could benefit from this "cat lady" from America. I would ask Noa and Paul to come and see this spectacle of my playing the role of the "Pied Piper Feeder", they rolled their eyes and thought I was nutty. Finally Noa came with me, only a few came out, and my black cat ran away:-(

One of our favorite restaurants Restobar, serves an incredible Israeli breakfast. For 48 Shekels ($14) you get a large cappucino, large fresh squeezed juice, and kind of eggs or omelet, fresh bread,large salad of tomatoes and cucumber and 8 small ramekins of things like olives, 4 kinds of cheese, tuna, and spreads..OY. I've taken to having all the ramekins except the olives and asking for them to go. The cats love Restobar!

Which all leads me to last night, and the serendipitous ending to my cat relationships. I took my last evening stroll around the neighborhood and of course stopped by to say hello to my furry friends. A young man came from the yard after hearing my calling and meowing. He asked if I was the American who fed the cats,( I met his mom from her 2nd floor balcony weeks ago). He thanked me for feeding the cats, and invited me behind the gate to see the home he set up for the cats, and their food bowls! There are 11 cats and three new kittens. I met the momma cat and two of the kittens in front of our apartment weeks ago, hiding behind our rental car. When we approached the momma cat hissed and was in serious protection mode. She had been howling for days as if she was in pain. Turns out she lost the 3rd kitten and was looking for it. After leaving food for them under our car, they suddenly disappeared, and I had been wondering if they survived as we had not seen them for over a week. Here they were, momma was more pleasant and the thrid kitten had come home.

My new neighbor Gal told me about all the cats, and their names! My black cat is Mambo, and it urns out my second favorite cat (black and white with a funky bent ear)who purrs and follows me, is called Nuva and is Mambos brother! Momma is called Zorro, and the gorgeous mini tiger is Ralph. Gal is going to send me photos of all the cats and let me know the kittens names once he names them. I am truly sad to say goodbye to such good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment