Monday, December 28, 2009

Old and New .. a day of contrasts


I awoke at 4, OK nothing new for me, I killed time until sunrise and went for an early morning walk to see Tel Aviv awaken.  I wanted to see an area called Neve Tzedek, adjacent to our home base and then on to Jaffa also known as Old Yafo (please refer to Paul and Noa's blogs for more on that). As I walked purposely leaving my ipod home so I'd pay attention to everything going on around me.  It struck me that a place that just celebtated its 100th birthday (Tel Aviv) and to biblical times (Old Yafo) that nothing is complete.  Everything is under construction or in need of reconstruction. There is garbage or debris everywhere... like a war zone. 


I stopped in old Yafo and saw a Napoleonic sign telling me which way to go... was he here too?


Next I walked through the Carmel Market where the fishmongers, olive sellers, bakery,  dairy men, produce folks and seller of all kinds of garbage.  It was fresh, clean and ready for business.. At the end of the day I went back to pick up a few things for dinner and it looked like a disaster zone.  Entrails in the street, lone chicken feet, plastic bags from the made in China junk and rotting produce. Then came the garbage truck, think "snow plow" pushing it all together and putting it all where I hope to never visit.   All this will begin anew tomorrow.I wish there was more recycling going on.
 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Pam,

    Your pictures are great,I now have a craving for bagels and olvies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pam,
    just getting to your blog and i love your descriptions of and reactions to tel aviv. i am with you in the cafes and on the streets. marilyn

    ReplyDelete