Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Aunt Ellen and a few Favorite Things





Paul's sister Ellen arrived last weekend, for those of you who don't know the story Ellen and I were pals in Los Angeles long  before I met Paul. After every visit with Ellen I always have tighter abs from all the laughing we do... as in non stop.  Here we are atop the ramparts in the old city.  We have had the best run of weather 60's through 80's since we arrived... until two nights ago when the largest storm in recent years hit, the lightening was so bright and thunder so loud sleep was difficult to come by and we are fortunate to have a skylight above our bed so I was able to watch the production while Paul slept and  missed the whole thing.






We walked the usual 15 miles today,  Noa and Paul kept up.  We toured the usual tourist hot spots with Ellen and saw the following, Kosher McDonald's, interesting people, including sleeping soldiers. lots of religious sorts, the scene above is in the Church of the Holy Seulchre at the place where Jesus was taken down from the cross.  People rub everything from their linens, to candles, and  water bottles on the stone over this sacred place.... and hope their items are blessed.


This religious man covered his hat (all of this sect appear to) as it was raining outside, you may have noticed each sect has a different type of hat, some wear what look like bathrobes, some wear knickers... all look very religious as they walk down the street praying or talking on cell phones... perhaps to the lord.







I can't tell much about,this man, only that he looked very ...umm different, and was drinking a cappuccino.

My dear friend Marilyn is a bit of a shoe fanatic, this is a piece of art by a famous Israeli artist named David Gerstein.  How did they say in "Fiddler on the Roof"... If I were a rich man, I would buy my friend a shoe sculpture for $22,000? It is made of small butterflies and is 3 layers deep:-)  And VERY BEAUTIFUL.



7 comments:

  1. The butterfly shoe is beautiful! I love the Kosher McD's sign. Any Starbucks over there? Love the photo of you three girls on the top of the ramparts in your pink shirts. I hope Ellen has a great time and that you get some good abs work in! Can I rub my heart on the stone to have it blessed? XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starbucks was here and left... on the main street we live off of there at least a dozen withing 5 blocks:-) Until Ellen arrived with real coffee and Cleancaf to descale the machine here I was drinking... INSTANT! Ick.

    The stories about the stone are too bizarre for words, you'd have to be a true believer to carry on and do the things people do on the stone. When I blog later this evening. Please let me know your level of believing before I tell too much:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam,

    Just wanted to tell you I'm reading your blog consistently and enjoying all the pictures. Would like to see more of your apartment (inside) to have an image of where you are when you're not out walking the city. Hi to Paul, Noa and Ellen. We're in the throes of basketball and getting ready for teacher conferences. My mouth is watering from all the great food you're describing.

    Adrienne Hall

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the blog. how about a PBS documentary when you get home or maybe a CNN feature as Christine Amanpour has hung up her walking shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan Burmeister-BrownJanuary 21, 2010 at 8:30 AM

    Your photos, Pam! I knew your posts would be extraordinary, but the photos to go with them? We are so lucky and so spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't knock the hats. Never can tell which will get you into heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, great writing and photos. You don't know me from Adam (probably don't know Adam, either) but I'm a friend on Ellen's. I am really enjoying this. This would make a great "real life tour" book. Love the hats and the (sad) cats.

    ReplyDelete