Monday, January 4, 2010

Wandering Jeruslaem on Foot




You didn't' expect I'd take a taxi or bus did you?  For the last few days, Paul and Noa have been working (I just had to go explore by myself). Photo to the left is our home for now. Yesterday I walked in search of a grocery store to buy food that didn't come out the 24 hour local place that sells milk for $6 a 1/2 gallon.  I found one a few miles away.  It was located in a shopping malls lower level.  I thought the hardest part would be finding the entry... it was where the security guard with the uzi was standing... open the backpack, empty electronics from pockets.  I go wild finding Nutella in a dozen sizes and varieties, an organic department where you could buy granola for $28 a kilo, cheap after my cheddar escapade of last Friday. I load up with the double bags of food and realize I have to carry all this home, not to worry, it's down hill.  I was exhausted by the time I had to reenter the mall to exit as security doesn't allow you to exit the same way cars do... OY.  Paul and Noa came to help with 1/2 mile to go:-)




I walked our neighborhood of Emek Rafaim, and the homes (apartments) are quite lovely. I decided to wander my way up to the Knesset and Supreme Court.  In the parks here they have mini gym equipment that works with your own body weight (same as I saw in Beijing... you'd think the US could provide these for us too).
My photos of the Knesset didn't come out as well as the signs leading up to it,  You see the sign warning of death everywhere, I love the way it is combines with the pedestrian zone.




2 comments:

  1. Pam i just read the last few days from your blog. and i am so jealous that you before you go buy groceries you get to pass by a man with an uzi. portland is seeming especially dull right now. and then you get these danger of death signs .. all i ever get here is what "men working below please don't throw." you can only imagine how boring it is here, especially when i hear about your fascinating experiences there. i am enjoying keeping up and keep saying to myself i want to go to the market, the arab section, the old section ...
    sounds like you're doing well. i am so happy for you. pictures are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marilyn,
    offer stands you are always welcome, just bring your walking shoes.

    ReplyDelete