Saturday, January 16, 2010

Cats







Ever since we arrived over three weeks ago I have seen hundreds of feral cats.  My initial reaction was to complain to the government about starting a campaign to spay and neuter the cats on the street as there are truly dozens on almost every block!   Some live near the open markets, some in the old city hiding among ruins, ancient buildings and roads and all look pretty streetwise and thin.  Some have missing eyes from fighting, some show the wounds of recent fights.  All make me sad. The local people seem indifferent.

At first I thought the Israelis were lazy or didn't care about animals.  I talked to many people about the stray cats, and the fact that there aren't many birds for a place in such a Mediterranean and perfect environment.  I was told that the cats were initially brought in to "take care of the rodent problem".  The rodents disappeared and the cats multiplied.  There was an uproar by the citizens about all the cats, so they were... taken care of too,  Soon the rodents returned, and cats were brought back in... Can you say vicious cycle?

These cats were in the oldest part of the old city in the Kardo fighting.  I broke it up and the aggressor (the black cat that looks like Mr Gryff) became my friend.  I have seen him every time I've gone through that area and he purrs and lets me pet him... and Noa says "USE THE PURELL"



The cats congregate near open markets especially around fish and meat sellers  Many nice people leave out fresh water, we even saw an old man feeding 30+ cats in a park.  You can walk down a major shopping street and see cats in the trash bins or just walking down the street.  Some even walk into restaurants, we saw one on a chair in a Tel Aviv restaurant.

I don't know what the answer is, but a country that has loads of smart people can certainly do better than this.



6 comments:

  1. poor kitties!
    i think u should take it up with the government!
    :)
    gabby
    p.s. cali says hi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gab,

    Can you come and help me... It could be a school assignment (service), which would lead to a full scholarship to Stanford or wherever you want to go:-)

    PS, the cats speak English as I talk to them all and they understand me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam,
    I was told by an Israeli that all the cats have been neutered. Riiiiight.

    But, I have seen some bowls of catfood put out in many places and they have it better than the the poor kitties in Egypt. I saved by table scraps for them. Cats are carnivores and people here less so than in the States! But seriously, they live a cat's natural type of life, complete with their natural drama!
    Have fun
    Liz in Tel Aviv

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't suppose one could it's the cat's meow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, i'm right on the bandwagon with you. we saw stray cats all over greece, but people everywhere just put out cat food. it was if the cats belonged to no one in particular but every neighborhood took care of their cats. i would like to believe that is what is happening in jerusalem.
    i think you are becoming the pied piper of israeli kitties. just wondering what the animal rights situation is there? big hello to ellen. wish i was there with you all. love marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. my plane leaves tomorrow :)
    gabby

    ReplyDelete